Skip Top Navigation
image: Click here to return to the Yuba County home page.
image: Collins Lake in Yuba County

Public Works

Michael Lee, Director

915 8th Street, Suite 125, Marysville,  CA 95901

(530)749-5420 Fax: (530)749-5424


Parks Frequently Asked Questions:

How are the sizes and locations of parks determined? Long before ground is broken and the first house is erected within a subdivision, a specific plan is developed and adopted by the Yuba County Board of Supervisors. Included in the specific plan are the size and locations of future parks. This is determined based upon the projected number of residents at the development’s build-out.

In 1975, California voters approved the Quimby Act which provided county and city jurisdictions the authority to mandate parkland dedication from developers. In Yuba County, this equates to a mandatory 5 acres of park land for every 1,000 people at the projected build-out. The developer is given the option to either grant the land to be used exclusively for a park or pay an “in-lieu fee” based upon the assessment of parcels in relation to the projected number of residents. The funds collected as a result of these fees must be used for park land acquisition or improvements.

The specific plans for developments can be found on the Yuba County Planning Department’s website. The two major plans currently in effect are the East Linda Specific Plan (ELSP) and the Plumas Lake Specific Plan (PLSP); and more are on the way.

Who maintains the parks? Within Yuba County, there exist several jurisdictions in which parks are maintained. In the Olivehurst and Plumas Lake areas, Olivehurst Public Utility District (OPUD) maintains the parks. The cities of Marysville and Wheatland have control of the parks within their boundaries. Yuba County provides the maintenance of several county parks, which are listed on the Parks and Landscape website.

I want to have an event at a Yuba County park. May I reserve it? No. All County parks are public property and are available on a first come, first serve basis.

The only exception to this is Hammon Grove Park, where picnic tables and a large barbeque are available to reserve and are subject to a fee. Please see the Hammon Grove Park page for more information.

May my little league / soccer team utilize a park for practice? Yes, but as noted above, the parks are available as first come, first serve only.

Who do I contact if I want to organize a park cleanup event? Please contact Yuba County Public Works Department and ask to speak with the Parks and Landscape Coordinator.





©2007 County of Yuba, CA