Skip Top Navigation
image: Click here to return to the Yuba County home page.
image: Yuba County scenery
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program assists low-income residents of Yuba County to rent affordable, safe, and sanitary housing. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides Yuba County with Federal funds to administer the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.
How do I apply for Section 8?
Submit an application to this agency    **CURRENTLY OUR WAIT LIST IS CLOSED**    
How do I know if I qualify for Section 8?

To be eligible to apply for assistance, an applicant must meet the following criteria:

  •  Meet income eligibility

Each year, HUD establishes income guidelines for subsidized housing programs. The applicant's income cannot exceed the limits at the time of application and admission. The limits are used to determine eligibility for a particular program. Housing Authority programs may require different income limits, depending on the program. Generally, all applicants must fall in the 30 percent of area median income (Extremely Low Income [ELI]) or 50 percent of area median income (Very Low Income [VLI]) to be eligible for housing assistance.


The current income limits (as of July 1, 2014) are listed below.

Household Size

30% (ELI)

50% (VLI)

1 person   



2 persons



3 persons



4 persons



5 persons



6 persons



7 persons



8 persons



How much rent would I have to pay?

Applicants are required to disclose all assets and income for every person in the household. Rents are based on the total household income.

How is eligibility determined?

Gross income includes:

  • Wages, commissions, overtime pay and tips for all household members 18 years of age and older.

  • Social Security, pensions, veteran's benefits, unemployment, disability, and/or workman's compensation benefits.

  • Total public assistance payments including, but not limited to, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), Aid to the Needy and Disabled (AND) Old Age Pension (OAP), etc.

  • Interest income from assets, including but not limited to, stocks, bonds, savings, IRA's, certificates of deposits and money markets, rental property, and income from trusts and annuities.

  • Child support and alimony.


updated information: 08/20/14



©2007 County of Yuba, CA