Skip Top Navigation
image: Click here to return to the Yuba County home page.
image: Collins Lake in Yuba County

Adult Services Division

Pamela Cook, Program Manager

 5730 Packard Avenue, Suite 100, (P.O. Box 2320) Marysville, CA 95901.



In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS):

The In-Home Supportive Services program is a state program administered in all 58 California counties.  IHSS provides assistance to those eligible aged (65 and over), blind and disabled individuals who are unable to remain safely in their own homes without this assistance.

  • IHSS provides services based on need and may include: domestic services (vacuuming, dusting, etc.); related services (meal preparation, shopping, running errands, etc.); non-medical personal care services (bowel and bladder care, grooming, bathing, etc.); transportation; and protective supervision. 
  • Eligibility for IHSS services requires that the applicant is a California (Yuba County) resident, lives in his/her own home, currently receives SSI/SSP benefits or meets all SSI/SSP eligibility criteria but has too much income for a cash grant.  If the person's income is above a certain level but still low enough to qualify, the excess income must be used to pay a share of the cost of IHSS.
  • Applicants hire and supervise their own provider.  Assistance with locating a provider is provided by the Public Authority Registry. 
  • The Yuba County In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program has a professional, multicultural team of Social Workers, A Public Health Nurse, and support staff to serve the needs of IHSS consumers.

Qualifying for IHSS:

To be eligible for IHSS, you must be on Medi-Cal, be blind, disabled, or 65 years of age or older, AND be unable to live at home safely without help.

You may also receive or be eligible to receive a cash grant through Cash Assistance for Permanent Immigrants, CAPI Program, which is administered through the Yuba County Eligibility Division.

If you are not on Medi-Cal, you must apply for Medi-Cal through Yuba County Eligibility staff, and be determined eligible and granted Medi-Cal before applying for IHSS.

How to apply for IHSS:

  • You can call (530) 749-6471; IHSS staff will complete a referral over the phone.  Be prepared to provide the following information:
    • Name, gender, address, telephone number, date of birth, social security number, Medi-Cal number, ethnicity, and language spoken; spouse's name, social security number, and date of birth; guardian or contact's name, relationship, and telephone.
    • Provide information related to housing and income, if known; medical problems or diagnoses, including name of medical doctor, address and telephone number; and client's level of mobility or function (e.g., walks alone or bed-bound).
    • Also provide information about other home supportive resources currently being used, if known (e.g., Home Health Agency, Meals-on-Wheels, etc.).
  • You can also come into the office Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.  The Adult Services Division of the Yuba County Health and Human Services Department is located at the Feather River Center, 6000 Lindhurst Avenue, Marysville, CA  95901. 

NEW LOCATION in July 2007:  5730 Packard Avenue (off of Lindhurst Ave.), Marysville, CA  95901.

Needs Assessment:

The next step in the application process is a home visit from an IHSS Social Worker.  The Social Worker arranges a personal interview with the applicant in his/her home and assesses what services are needed.  

The need for IHSS is based on the person's medical condition or disability, the specific type and frequency of the help required, living arrangement including number of persons in the household, and what help is provided of available from family, friends, or community resources. The person's physician may be contacted to verify his/her medical condition or disability. IHSS Social Workers determine if you qualify for IHSS by assessing your functional need for specific in-home services and by identifying the amount of time to be allotted for the performance of services.

If the applicant is not receiving SSI/SSP or CAPI, an Eligibility Worker must figure out whether or not the person meets the eligibility criteria for SSI/SSP or CAPI. This worker will provide the required forms for SSI/SSP or refer to CAPI and will calculate any amount that must be paid out of the person's income as his/her share of cost for IHSS.

Both the needs assessment and the eligibility determination is performed prior to authorization of IHSS, annually thereafter, or whenever there is any change that affects the recipient's need for services or eligibility for IHSS.

Services That May Be Available Through IHSS:

Services that may be authorized by the Social Worker through the Yuba County IHSS Program include the following:

  • Domestic Services-these include the usual housekeeping chores, such as sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning, changing bed linen, etc.  (no more than 6 hours per month per household in most cases).   
  • Services Related to Domestic Services-these include meal preparation and meal cleanup, laundry, grocery shopping, and errands.
  • Personal Care Services-these include sub-categories for personal care services, such as help with feeding, dressing, bathing, ambulation, respiration, bowel and bladder care, etc.
  • Other Services-Other miscellaneous services which may be authorized, under certain circumstances, include paramedical services, transportation accompaniment, non-medical protective supervision, and heavy cleaning. A restaurant meal allowance may be paid for individuals with adequate cooking facilities but who are unable to cook for themselves.


Adult Services Division 5730 Packard Ave Suite 100, Marysville CA 95901 24 Hour Hotline (530) 749-6471


©2009 County of Yuba, CA