Skip Top Navigation
image: Click here to return to the Yuba County home page.

Environmental Health/ CUPA

Clark Pickell, R.E.H.S. - Department Head

915 8th. St., Suite 123, Marysville, CA 95901

(530)749-5450 Fax: (530)749-5454

Kennel Program

The Kennel program is to help insure the proper and humane treatment of dogs and other pets within Yuba County.  The program issues a health permit and inspects all kennels for compliance with applicable laws and regulations that pertain to these facilities.



 If you are considering raising dogs or cats to sell or for show, some or all of the following information may apply to you.


In this county, the sale of more than 5 dogs in a one year period constitutes a commercial activity.  Likewise, providing more than 5 services per year (i.e., breeding, boarding, training, etc.) for the owners of other animals in a one year period constitutes a commercial activity.


One of the most important things to consider regarding starting a kennel is the location of your property.  The property to be used for this type of business must be zoned appropriately for kennel activities.  It is very important to check with the county Planning Department regarding the zoning before you start planning or before purchasing property.  Most areas in or near town, especially in subdivided neighborhoods, will probably not be zoned for kennel activities.  Even if you think your property is in the country it may not be of sufficient acreage or be located in an area appropriate to satisfy the zoning requirements.  Please research the zoning requirements before you begin.


If you embark upon opening a commercial kennel, please be aware that you will not only be required to comply with the zoning ordinance but will also need to build an approved building to house the animals, provide a sewage disposal system for wastewater and provide an adequate water supply to serve the building.  Other requirements may include concrete runs, fencing, landscaping and parking that would be appropriate to the operation.  Following construction, you will be required to apply for a permit to operate, pay a yearly fee, and submit to routine inspections of the facility by Environmental Health.


A hobby kennel where more than 5 dogs are kept for the hobby of training, showing, tracking, etc. and where 2 litters per year are allowed must still be in compliance with the zoning requirements.  Again, more than 5 sales or 5 services per year could turn your hobby kennel into a commercial facility and other requirements including permitting will have to be met.




As a courtesy to the citizens of Yuba County we are including links and information to the following helpful and informational organizations. 



             Yuba County Sheriff's                Sutter County                         Yuba Sutter             
                     Animal Care Services          Animal Control Services                 SPCA


         Marysville City
                                 Animal Care Services

                   To report a problem or concern with an animal that is located

                                within the city limits of Marysville, please call (530) 749-3900.


(Linked Sites are not recommended, endorsed, nor guaranteed by Yuba County.  These links

  are listed only for the convenience of the public and will open in a new window.) 



Links to Yuba County Service Form and Permit Application


                                     Environmental Health General Services Request Form ({word.doc} --- {.pdf})

                                                  (The general service request form is used for requested services not covered by a permit application)

                                                  Application for Permit to Operate ({word.doc} ---{.pdf})


                               Contact Info: phone Margaret at (530) 749-5450


©2007 County of Yuba, CA