Skip Top Navigation
image: Click here to return to the Yuba County home page.

Public Works

Michael Lee, Director

915 8th Street, Suite 125, Marysville,  CA 95901

(530)749-5420 Fax: (530)749-5424


Landscape Frequently Asked Questions:


Why does the landscaping in my neighborhood look unkempt? Yuba County maintains the landscaping along major roads and only upon right of ways that have been properly deeded to the County. In areas where development is still occurring, the parcel of land on which the landscape is constructed may still belong to the developer. Until it is deeded to the County for maintenance, it is private property and is up to the developer to maintain. This process may take several years before the County eventually oversees the area. Although unsightly, the County cannot enforce private landholders to maintain their property unless it creates a health and safety hazard.

Please call Yuba County Public Works at (530) 749-5420 to determine if the area is under County jurisdiction, and if so, the Parks and Landscape Coordinator will work diligently to rectify the situation.



Who maintains the landscaping in my neighborhood? In all County owned areas, the County is directly responsible for the upkeep of the developed landscaping. This includes mowing, edging, weeding, irrigation and trash removal. However, to reduce costs, the County will often go out to bid for and hire sub-contractors to handle these tasks. If there are any problems with the level of service provided, please notify Yuba County Public Works at (530) 749-5420.

If the area is not under County ownership (e.g. when the developer has not relinquished control), contact the land owner (developer, etc).

Where does the funding for landscape maintenance come from? For most subdivisions, homes are assessed yearly via County Service Area assessments. A portion of that money pays for the costs of landscape maintenance and upkeep, in addition to streetlights, fire protection, parks, drainage, etc. In other areas of the County, the funding comes from General Fund tax dollars.

What if the street tree in front of my house has died or become damaged? Please consult your developer for possible warranty coverage. If the warranty has expired, it us up to the homeowner to ensure it is replaced. Consult with the Yuba County Planning Department at (530) 749-5470 to confirm.

What if I would like a different street tree in front of my house? In many cases, the species of tree was selected and approved per plan to provide shade and uniformity for years to come. As a rule of thumb, imagine what the street would look like in 20 – 30 years with trees of all different shapes, sizes and growth patterns. Prior to changing the street trees in front of your home, please consult with the Yuba County Planning Department at (530) 749-5470.

Include on this website for reference is a list of approved trees suitable for planting in Yuba County. However, all trees in front of residential dwellings must be deciduous (sheds leaves in autumn), and per ordinance 12.87.035(a), they must be no further than forty (40) feet apart along the street.






©2007 County of Yuba, CA