Other Disasters >
Public Health >
Evacuate immediately if told to do so. Evacuation instructions will
be broadcasted by local authorities, radio, television or telephone.
You may receive a telephone call
by the Wide Area Rapid Notification (WARN), a automated system to get emergency information to the public.
activated, the WARN system has the ability to send a pre-recorded
message to thousands of telephone customers every minute. If you
receive such a call listen carefully to the instructions.
Information may include the nature of the emergency, the need to
evacuate or shelter in place, shelter locations and how to receive
further information. The recorded message will be repeated
allowing you to write down any necessary information.
As you evacuate:
- Remain calm
- Follow instructions from local authorities
- Use travel routes specified by local
- Lock your home
- Shut all doors and windows
- Take your emergency kit
- Take a portable radio
If you know you have time:
- Shut off gas or propane
- Do not shut off water and electricity
- Post a note of when you left and where you are
- Make arrangements for your animals and pets