Recording Information and Requirements
The County Recorder, upon payment of proper fees and taxes, will accept
any documents which is authorized or required by California law to be be
recorded, if the document contains the required information, and if it
is photographically reproducible.
Each document presented for recording must include or comply with the
following general requirements:
- Property must be located in Yuba County.
- The document must be authorized or required by law to be
- The document must be submitted with the proper fees and taxes.
- The document must be in compliance with state and local laws.
- The document must state who is requesting the recording.
- The document must state the name and address to whom the
document should be returned. (Fill in "Recording Requested By
and Mail to").
- A Deed must state the name and address to whom tax statements
are to be mailed.
- The document must be legible enough to produce a readable
- If a document is not signed legibly, the names of the signer(s)
must be typed or printed on the side of or below the signature(s)
Govt Code §27280.5.
- When signing on behalf of a corporation / partnership the
corporate or partnership name must appear above the signature(s) and
the capacity of the signer(s) below the signature(s).
- Signatures must be original, unless the document is a certified
copy issued by the appropriate custodian of the public record.
- The document must be properly acknowledged, unless exempt.
- The Assessor's Parcel Number is required on deeds by local
- The notary seal must be legible for microfilm reproduction.
- All documents submitted for recording shall have at least 1/2
inch margin on the two vertical sides except in the space reserved
for recording information.
- All documents must comply with the standard 8.5" x 11" sheet and
paper size to avoid penalty, and must not exceed 8.5" x 14".
Any document including any sheet not exactly 8.5" x 11" will cost
the regular recording fee PLUS and ADDITIONAL $3.00 per page.
- The first page of a document to be recorded should have a return
address space on the top left that is 2.5" down and 3.5" across.
On the top right, allow a blank space 2.5" down and 5" across for
the recorder's use.
- Any instrument, paper, or notice presented for recordation which
in any way modifies, releases or cancels the provision of a
previously recorded document shall state the recorder identification
number or book and page of the document number being modified,
released, or cancelled.
- Documentary transfer tax is due on all taxable conveyances in
excess of $100 at a rate of $.55 per $500 or factional portion of
the real property value, excluding any liens or encumbrances
already of record as required. It is collected at the time of
recording on each deed or instrument. A Documentary Transfer
Tax Declaration must be completed and signed for all deeds.
Documents that fall within the exempt category must cite the
particular code section under which the Documentary Transfer Tax
exemption is claimed and appropriate wording citing the use of the
code. See Yuba County Recorder's Office Documentary Transfer
Tax Guidelines handout.
- Documents evidencing a conveyance of property must have a
Preliminary Change of Ownership Report (P.C.O.R.) submitted at the
time of recording or pay a $20 fee.
Websites Offering a Variety of Forms/Documents
The Office of the Recorder is prohibited from giving any legal advice
or to assist in document preparation. We do not provide any legal
forms or notarial services. Various types of forms may be
purchased at office supply or stationary stores. Below is a list
of websites offering a variety of forms/documents. We make no
recommendations and no guarantees as to the legal sufficiency or the
recordability of any forms or information you may find on these sites.
Once you have the appropriate form, you may prepare it yourself, consult
legal counsel, or contact a local title company or escrow company.
Sacramento County Public Law Library
Nolo Press - Legal Forms
California County Law Librarians - Your Public Law Library
US Legal Forms, Inc
The Easy Forms, LLC
Los Angeles County